Certificate of Citizenship (N-600)


Form N-600 is a USCIS form that allows an individual, born outside the U.S. to a U.S citizen parent or parents, obtain evidence of U.S. citizenship. It documents that the individual is a U.S. citizen, even though he was not born in the U.S. This Certificate of Citizenship is very useful when an individual tries to obtain government benefits like U.S. passport, applying for immigration benefits for spouse, State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit, Social Security benefits.

Procedures and Requirements

  • Must include proof of your parents’ U.S. citizenship.
  • As claim to citizenship is though parents, applicant must include his/her birth certificate to document parents’ name.

Related Issues

  • Acquisition is used to describe a child born outside the U.S. to a U.S. citizen parent.
  • Derivation is used to describe a child of parents who are lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who have obtained U.S. citizenship.
  • Applicant will need to take the Oath of Allegiance when he receives the Certificate of Citizenship.
  • An individual who acquired U.S. citizenship and reside abroad is not eligible to apply for N-600 and should instead seek evidence of citizenship through a passport application to the Department of State.