Green Card Extension for Certain Naturalization Applicants

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has recently updated its policy manual to allow a receipt for an application for naturalization (form N-400) to serve as a 24-month extension of the applicant’s green card (I-551). This change took effect on December 12, 2022, and applies to any N-400 application filed on or after that date.

Previously, individuals who wished to extend the validity period of their green card had to file an application to replace the permanent resident card (form I-90). This new policy change will allow individuals to use their expired green card and the N-400 receipt notice as continued evidence of their status as a lawful permanent resident, including for the purposes of demonstrating valid work and travel authorization.

This change is beneficial for several reasons. Firstly, it will reduce the burden on N-400 applicants who would otherwise have had to file an additional form and pay another USCIS filing fee. It will also help to free up resources at the USCIS, as officers will no longer have to spend time adjudicating I-90 applications.

Overall, this policy change is a positive development that streamlines the process for naturalization applicants seeking green card extension. It is important for those affected by this change to be aware of the new requirements and to plan accordingly.