Vocational Student Visa (M-1)


The M-1 nonimmigrant visa classification is for individuals who come to the U.S. to pursue a vocational, non-academic program (other than a language training program) in an established institution in the United States. Examples of vocational study are technical courses, mechanical classes, flight school, cosmetology, cooking classes, and other similar programs.

M-1 Procedure & Requirements

  • Be accepted at a Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) institution which offers non-degree bearing course.
  • Have a high English proficiency to allow the individual to understand and speak as required by educational institutions.
  • As with other nonimmigrant visas, have strong ties to home country and document bona fide student status.
  • Must be able to document that the individual can cover expenses while studying and living in the U.S.

Related Issues

  • Spouse and unmarried children under 21 of an M-1 can accompany on M-2 status.
  • Spouse and children of an M-1 are not allowed to work or study for a degree.
  • Spouse and children of an M-1 can enroll in recreational courses, and children can only complete their elementary or secondary school (K-1).
  • For an M-1 spouse to engage in a full course of study, an M-2 spouse must apply for and be granted F-1, M-1 or J-1 status. For an M-2 child to study full-time at the post-secondary level, the child must apply for and be granted M-1 or J-1 study.
  • An M-2 child may engage in study at an SEVP-certified school in the U.S. if they are enrolled in less than a full course of study.
  • An M-1 applicant cannot apply for change of status to F-1.

Meet Attorney Asheesh Sharma – Your Trusted Advisor

With years of experience in employment-based immigration, Sharma Law Offices has a proven track record of successful cases. Our nuanced understanding of U.S. immigration laws ensures that your case is in capable hands.

Atlanta Employment Immigration Lawyer Asheesh Sharma
American Immigration Lawyers Association
Seal of the Tennessee Judiciary