Certificate of Citizenship (N-600)


Form N-600 is a USCIS form that allows an individual, born outside the U.S. to a U.S citizen parent or parents, obtain evidence of U.S. citizenship. It documents that the individual is a U.S. citizen, even though he was not born in the U.S. This Certificate of Citizenship is very useful when an individual tries to obtain government benefits like U.S. passport, applying for immigration benefits for spouse, State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit, Social Security benefits. While statutes and regulations dictate that a U.S. passport should serve as decisive proof of U.S. citizenship, the reality is often different. Many agencies and organizations may not accept it without a Certificate of Citizenship.

Procedures and Requirements

  • In order to obtain Certification of Citizenship, one must include proof of your parents’ U.S. citizenship.
  • As claim to citizenship is though parents, applicant must include his/her birth certificate to document parents’ name.

Related Issues

  • Acquisition is used to describe a child born outside the U.S. to a U.S. citizen parent.
  • Derivation is used to describe a child of parents who are lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who have obtained U.S. citizenship.
  • Applicant will need to take the Oath of Allegiance when he receives the Certificate of Citizenship.
  • An individual who acquired U.S. citizenship and reside abroad is not eligible to apply for N-600 and should instead seek evidence of citizenship through a passport application to the Department of State.

Meet Attorney Asheesh Sharma – Your Trusted Advisor

With years of experience in employment-based immigration, Sharma Law Offices has a proven track record of successful cases. Our nuanced understanding of U.S. immigration laws ensures that your case is in capable hands.

Atlanta Employment Immigration Lawyer Asheesh Sharma
American Immigration Lawyers Association
Seal of the Tennessee Judiciary