B-1 Visa for Business


A citizen of a foreign country generally must first obtain either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.   A person who wants to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1), for pleasure, or for medical treatment (B-2) typically would require a “visitor” visa.  At times, a combination of both (B-1/B-2) may also be given to a beneficiary. 

A B-1 visa would be issued to an individual intending to enter the U.S. to consult with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or conference, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract.  Under certain circumstances, a personal or domestic employee may also be eligible for a B-1 visa.

Procedure & Requirements

In order to obtain a B Visa, an applicant need to:

  • Apply for a visa at the U.S. Consulate; an application to the US Citizenship & Immigration Service is not required;
  • Document that the trip to the United States is for specific, limited period;
  • Document evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries for temporary visits to the United States of 90 days or less can request a waiver of B visa at the port of entry if they meet the visa waiver program requirements.

Related Issues

  • The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant; 
  • The applicant for a visitor’s visa has to document that s/he is not an intending immigrant though evidence of compelling social and economic ties to abroad; 
  • The applicant should have a residence outside the United States s/he has no intent to abandon.